Monday 7 October 2013

Embracing Autumn with...The Humble Carrot Cake

  This time of year is so beautiful! The air is crisp and cool, the leaves are brown, and I have been itching to grab my camera and 'get out there'. But it happens every year... The trees become bare, and the weather become intolerable, and I am never quick enough to embrace Autumn!

  So this year, with a little help from my blog, I want to start a series of posts of me...well 'embracing Autumn'.

  Yesterday I had my first real Autumn impulse. Baking. And what is the most Autumnal cake ever baked? Carrot cake of course! But the only problem is I'm not the best baker...
  Thankfully, I managed it! The recipe I used was from Nigella Lawson's website (which is so pretty!), and, true to Nigella's reputation, I wasn't a low calorie snack! Even I know that 450 grams of sugar is a lot. I did take a few short cuts-being a beginner-I didn't use baking powder or bicarbonate of soda- I don't really know what they do...

  Also, I really didn't like the icing! It was just far too cheesey for my taste. So, instead I used the classic butter icing. Another flaw with the recipe is that it didn't mention a oven temperature, but as long as you keep an eye on it, it should be okay.

  I actually cannot believe the final result. I made a carrot cake! And it tastes pretty good... It won't be the last time I make this cake, and hey if I can do it, then anyone can!!!

  Hannah Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment